- The improvisers has agency on how to discharge, or to be active, in both free play or tacet mode
- The free play settings, the improviser, the participant, has agency, is the decision maker from an aesthetic & strategic point of engagement.
- The timeline or duration of play: if the setting is 10 minutes duration, 5 minutes tacet, 5 minutes free play: the improviser has agency of how to discharge the request to improvise for 5 minutes, the ranges include: 300 x 1 second , 1 x 5 minutes, random timings.
- Content : the improvisers has agency on the content during active play, the dynamic range, volume etc
- Elements of engagement; the improviser, has agency on how to engage with the ensemble, [ relational functions ]
Summing up: System 50:50 is a system with rules, buried within it are some composition tools, when a system 50:50 is in `play` the improviser has agency from thereon. There maybe `peer pressure` and informal constraints hidden within group dynamics but these factors are present in everything we do and are not specific to system 50:50.