start here - an introduction

also known as: do I play the clock or make aesthetic decisions
Phil Morton
start here - an introduction

Post by Phil Morton » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:50 am

Strategic vs aesthetic responses - also known as `do I play the clock or do i make musical/aesthetic decisions`

three example examples of strategic responses, or reactions or decision making [framing of]

The settings : Duration 12 minutes, 6 minutes tacet, 6 minutes free play

Example 1 - running the clock down; I start with 6:6 then move to 5:5, 4:4, 3:3, 2:2, 1;1 - thus I am not making aesthetic decisions, the process has become, pre-composed, structured, we use the term strategic. The playing is not open or free. PM offers this `game-theory` approach, or unexpected outcomes (System 50;50 was not designed with this approach in mind) will be present in any situation, any workshop piece, any composition, any `freely improvised piece` and most situation in life in the real world. PM may suggest it is not an attribute of system 50;50 but is present is all situations (hyperbole Mr Morton) . Noted it will be present, but to varying degrees.

Example 2 - The player remains tacet for 6 minutes, then plays for 6 minutes: this approach I speculate is pre-configured, pre-composed, a strategic decision. It will happen (and has) because it can happen. PM's editorial comment: it can be tried, for myself having to continuously play for 6 minutes may lead to the reflection, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I speculate, you only know when you get there yourself....

Example 3 - less specific this - the player keeps an eye on the clock settings, there maybe a policy of keeping back time, let us say 1 minute: to avoid (using the settings above for a 12 minute piece) running out of time, so a 9 minutes into the 12 minute piece, the player still has time on the clock, the freeplay clock has not been run down to zero.

Aesthetic response
The player plays following aesthetic decisions - with no or little priority given to maintaining a balance, or a setting in the clock displays, the player plays (or enters tacet mode) the clock displays count down - it is what it is,

The 1%
It is expected that around 1% of the participants, will make a private decision to ignore the System 50;50 remit, to play and not play according to their concept of free will, or desire to brake a rule (or to be broken by it): the participant plays or does not play, the player presses the rocker on the mechanical chess clock. There is no connection between the playing and the operation of the clock. PM notes this is not speculation, it happens, the figure is speculation? 1% is the real figure more or less? answer ask BBC radio four programme more or less.
Phil Morton
mob : 07999518582
skype id nervetech

Return to “8 Strategic vs aesthetic responses”