RH commentary on Rotation

An ensemble, the clocks have different settings. The ensemble plays a sequence and pieces., between each piece the members of the ensemble exchange clocks.
Phil Morton
RH commentary on Rotation

Post by Phil Morton » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:26 am

Dear Phil,

I thought there was a discussion board on the different settings item but now I can't see it.

My thought was:

If the clocks are set to [play+tacet] 5+1; 4+2; 3+3; 2+4 and 1+5 and all the players play all the clocks once
then
every player plays 5+4+3+2+1
and is silent 1+2+3+4+5
then in total they play 15 and are silent 15. So 50:50.
Note: This is correct, writes Phil Morton
One can then discuss if the swapping of clocks is worth it.
It eliminates some extreme playing options (say, play 15 and be silent to the end).
It will keep the changes in the mix at a much more constant rate.
It means that there is less chance of total silence and less chance that many players think they have to 'make a solo' at the same time.
That is, if playing 5 and silent 1 is a solo - but indeed one could try to retire the background for 5 mins with a comforting drone.

A result different to 50:50 is made if the clocks are not rotated and the sense of 'everyone has a democratic right to have their voice heard equally' is withdrawn. Interesting social moment.

Even so, just what is the difference between each player with a single clock showing the total durations of play and tacet as opposed to dividing these up onto different clocks? If I have one clock showing 5+1 and another 4+6 then I get 9+7. So why not just put that on one clock?

It is possible that the psychology of giving someone a clock saying 'silent 5 and play 1' is that they start more in a more listening mode, because they know the maximum time they can dominate (or even contribute) is 1 minute out of 6.
There might not be a logical difference, but there might be a psychological difference.

Needs more research.

Robin Hartwell
Phil Morton
mob : 07999518582
skype id nervetech

Phil Morton

Re: RH commentary on Rotation

Post by Phil Morton » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm

PM notes and admits it -

His assumption is/was: if he has a clock with 1 minute tacet 5 minutes free play, in a trio where the other two players are 5:1 & 3:3, he assumed his playing is in solo mode, a his playing is constant, for most of the piece. This maybe true, but the playing need not fit profile of `solo` or dominant, or foreground.

I am listening forward to re-visiting this dynamic.

PM
Phil Morton
skype id nervetech

Phil Morton

Re: RH commentary on Rotation

Post by Phil Morton » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:11 pm

Re RH comment
Even so, just what is the difference between each player with a single clock showing the total durations of play and tacet as opposed to dividing these up onto different clocks? If I have one clock showing 5+1 and another 4+6 then I get 9+7. So why not just put that on one clock?
The difference is
5+1 & 4+6 are two different pieces

9+7 is one piece.

to be continued
Phil Morton
skype id nervetech

Return to “3 Rotation”